I am Joint Managing Partner of the firm and lead the ‘Creators, Makers and Innovators’ division at Lewis Silkin, specialising in intellectual property, advertising & marketing, privacy & data protection, consumer & regulatory and defamation & reputation management work.
I am primarily a dispute resolution lawyer, but also provide clearance and risk management advice to my clients, which range from famous brands to major marcoms agencies, media, telecoms & tech companies, sports clubs and high net worth individuals.
The legal directories for intellectual property, advertising & marketing and brand management work recognise me as a Leading Practitioner as “a pre-eminent advertising and marketing practitioner” and ‘very confident and solution-focused’. I am ranked as a World Intellectual Property Review Leader, World Trademark Review ‘Top 1000’, an ‘IP Star’ by Managing Intellectual Property, Who’s Who Legal: TMT and in Super Lawyers. I have higher courts rights of audience and am an accredited CEDR mediator. I am a Committee Member of the Branded Content Marketing Association and on the British Brands Group’s legal section. I am joint author and editor of the leading textbook ‘Advertising Law & Regulation’ (2nd Ed.).
You can view some of our Adlaw blog posts here.
Brands & Intellectual Property
I have been involved in a number of landmark cases in my specialist legal areas of intellectual property, privacy & data protection and defamation & reputation management, including acting for Three against O2 in a comparative advertising dispute in the Court of Justice of the European Union and for Viagogo against the Rugby Football Union in a Supreme Court case involving data protection issues arising from a ‘Norwich Pharmacal’ order. I am a regular speaker in the UK and abroad, including in 2016 at the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada’s AGM on trade marks and metatags in the UK/EU and the IBA Litigation Forum in San Francisco on the different approach to privacy and data protection between the US and UK/EU.
Advertising & Marketing
I have particular knowledge and experience of the advertising & marketing sector, having been in-house counsel for advertising group TBWA (part of Omnicom) before joining Lewis Silkin. I am recognised as a leading practitioner by the legal directories for advertising & marketing and brand management work, described as “a pre-eminent advertising and marketing practitioner” and ‘very confident and solution-focused’. I have been involved in a number of landmark cases involving the sector, including acting for Three against O2 in a comparative advertising dispute in the Court of Justice of the European Union.
I am a Committee Member of the Branded Content Marketing Association and on the British Brands Group’s legal section. I am the sole author of the leading textbook ‘Advertising Law & Regulation’ and joint author and editor of its second edition (published by Bloomsbury Professional).
Awards and Recognition
- Listed in Best Lawyers 2020 edition
- Chambers 2019 Ranked - Intellectual Property - London (Firms)
- Chambers 2019 - A client says: "He has a very thorough, rational and measured approach."
- Chambers 2019 Ranked 1 - Media & Entertainment: Advertising & Marketing - UK-wide
- Chambers 2019 - "He is just invaluable in disputes - he has very sharp insights and finds great solutions."
- The World's Leading Trademark Professionals 2018 - “Giles is highly responsive and very commercially focused. His tone is always perfectly pitched and he resolves matters quickly and effortlessly.” He is an expert on areas adjacent to trademarks, including advertising, marketing and regulatory law and, “because of his breadth of experience, he is often able to add value when advising on trademark matters”.
- Who's Who Legal Thought Leaders: Data
- Who's Who Legal Data 2018: Information Technology
- Who's Who Legal Data 2018: Telecoms & Media
- Legal 500 2018 - Giles Crown is an ‘outstanding litigator’ specialising in IP and advertising – ‘his leadership is what instills the pragmatic, commercial approach in the team’.