I am a leading UK employment lawyer and have been so for over 20 years - according to the UK legal directories.
I am particularly well known for senior level issues, restructurings, litigation and TUPE issues.
I have been at two previous firms but in 2004 I joined Lewis Silkin’s employment practice - which now has over 150 employment lawyers and is the leading specialist employment firm. It's a great firm, the leading practice in employment lawyers and a lovely environment in which to work – it is consistently in the Times Best 100 Companies To Work For list.
My practice is diverse, including a number of household name clients in a variety of sectors. It is particularly strong in the media and broadcast sector, IT, telecommunications and technology. I have a particular focus on international employment law work.
I am a regular speaker and commentator on employment issues for national media, newspapers and trade and legal journals.
My employment practice is broad but I have particular expertise in sensitive senior terminations, restructuring, TUPE transfers and employment litigation.
Internationally, I have pioneered a number of global employment projects for many multinationals, and have run many cross border projects for a wide variety of clients, including the establishment and operation of an international media company’s global employment helpdesk which, for a fixed annual fee, provides them with unlimited employment advice in all of its 32 jurisdictions around the world.
Media & Entertainment
In the media world, I have one of the highest profiles of any employment lawyer. I act for many well known broadcasters and TV production companies. I am a regular speaker at media events and regularly appear on panels discussing employment issues and in particular diversity issues in the media.
I have a very strong IT and Technology practice, acting for a variety of leading technology, computer and telecoms companies in particular. I enjoy the pragmatic and commercial environment in which these companies operate, and have become a trusted advisor to many.
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers 2023 (Employment – Thames Valley) "Russell Brimelow gives practical advice and gets to the point and without any frills."
- Legal 500 2023 (TMT: Media and Entertainment (including media finance)) ‘Russell Brimelow is a great client service partner, keen to get to know our business and what needs our in-house legal team has.’
- Legal 500 2023 (Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M48) ‘Russell Brimelow and his team provide commercial advice that is easy for any manager in the business to understand. They are friendly and practical in their approach.’
- Hall of Fame in Legal 500 (Employment)
- Chambers 2022 (Employment) - 'Russell Brimelow has really great experience and he applies it to situations very well. He knows how to cut to the chase and gives quick, concise and clear advice'
- Legal 500 2022 (Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40) - ‘Russell Brimelow continues to be brilliant – doesn’t talk law, talks strategy & tactics’
- Chambers 2021 ( Employment: Thames Valley) - "He is wonderful. He understands our business well, he is incredibly responsive and he gives very clear, sensible and pragmatic advice. He is a real pleasure to work with"
- Legal 500 2021 (Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40) - "has a great commercial mind"
- Who's Who Legal Global Leader - Labour & Employment (England) 2021
- Listed in Best Lawyers 2020 edition
- Who's Who Legal 2019: Outstanding lawyer who is 'highly strategic and responsive'
- Chambers and Partners 2019 - Russell Brimelow receives praise for being "very commercial, highly responsive and a wise counsel when you need it."