I am partner in and head of the firm’s Corporate legal practice group and my practice covers a wide range of corporate and company matters.
I specialise in:
- corporate advisory;
- growth, venture & private equity capital (from both an investor and investee perspective);
- mergers & acquisitions (from both a buyer and seller perspective);
- shareholder & joint venture arrangements.
Throughout my career I have worked with clients across a variety of industry sectors, but have significant expertise in the advertising & marketing, media & entertainment, technology and real estate & development sectors, acting in a range of transactions and working with clients through the lifecycle of their business from formation to exit. I act for some of the world’s largest names in advertising & marketing, media, mobile and digital/online.
I am described in Legal 500 as an ‘outstanding legal adviser’, 'extremely skilled', ‘fantastic’ and as being 'creative', ‘pragmatic’ and ‘reliable’.
I’ve had the following recommendation from one very longstanding global multinational client for whom I have acted on over a dozen M&A transactions: “Paul is an outstanding lawyer. He will think ahead of his peers on the other side and even ahead of his clients. He will come up with creative and elegant solutions to help negotiations move forward. He has an intimate knowledge of the law and at the same time a pragmatic approach to solving commercial, legal and tax issues.”
Mergers and Acquisitions
My main area of focus is advising clients on the sale and purchase of businesses and companies, acting on all sides of merger & acquisition transactions but with greater experience of acting for buyers. I regularly act for buyers of businesses on acquisitions with complex earn-out and retention arrangements. I have advised companies when buying assets or shares and companies selling businesses to trade buyers, financial buyers and management teams. I have also advised management teams and purchasers in management buy-out transactions. Many of the transactions I advise on are in the advertising & marketing, media & entertainment and related technology sectors. For many years, I have been the principal legal adviser for two of the world’s largest advertising & marketing networks advising on all of their UK merger & acquisition activity.
I’ve had the following recommendation from a client: “Paul is an invaluable partner in the company acquisition process, he is both technically and legally spot on, and is also very commercially astute. We don't talk to potential acquisitions without involving Paul in the process. His interpersonal skills make the process so much smoother.”
I act for corporations in advising them on their statutory and constitutional liabilities and obligations and individuals on the appropriate structure, constitutional and contractual framework for their businesses. This includes drafting and settling bespoke constitutions and arrangements between shareholders, partners or LLP members which are appropriate for the business as it is and how the parties plan to develop and grow it. Further, I advise on shareholder disputes between individual shareholders working in conjunction with my colleagues in our dispute resolution team, to devise solutions such as staged exits and share buy-backs.
I’ve had the following recommendation from a client: “Paul is an enormously experienced and pragmatic advisor, who brings a wealth of strategic as well as legal input to the matters on which he advises. His support and flexibility is always valued, and I would have no hesitation in recommending him to others seeking corporate advice.”
Advertising & Marketing
I am a core member of the Advertising & Marketing sector focus group. I act for two of the world’s largest advertising & marketing networks advising on all of their UK merger & acquisition and corporate activity as well as acting for the individual agencies within such networks and independent agencies in traditional advertising, PR, design, digital and social media agencies. Apart from ongoing merger & acquisition activity, projects with clients in this sector include group re-organisations, joint ventures, start-ups and equity/debt investments.
I’ve had the following recommendation from a client: “Paul has been the Partner at Lewis Silkin responsible for the majority of our legal needs. In particular he oversaw our management buy-out. The work he has done has been faultlessly delivered with great efficiency. Paul has an easy to work with style. He is careful to explain in a way we all understand. He has a very good understanding of the advertising & marketing sector and so has no trouble dealing with creative types! He works hard at maintaining a great relationship with us and I would recommend him without hesitation.”
I am a member of the Technology sector focus group with particular expertise in innovative technology solutions, and advertising & marketing technology across all digital platforms. I have an additional focus on early stage and growth companies, helping with deal structures and preparing businesses for investment and exit.
I’ve had the following recommendation from a client: “Paul is commercially astute and has over the years proven to be a highly responsive and trusted advisor to me. Paul’s support has helped me build my advertising and technology businesses from start-up to fast growth. Paul’s practical and down-to-earth approach makes him a pleasure to work with. His advice on M&A transactions, structuring and strategic planning is always given with a real appreciation of our wider business objectives. Furthermore, Paul is always willing to go the extra mile. Paul would be an asset to any entrepreneur and is also a lovely chap to boot.”
Awards & Recognition
- Chambers 2023 (Corporate/M&A: £10-100 million) "Excellent in all areas. Paul has been available and given consistently good advice." "Paul has always shown himself to be a thoughtful, detail-oriented and business-minded lawyer." "Paul is exactly who you want to lead your legal team, understanding exactly what is required and bringing the best people to the table to deliver."
- Legal 500 2022 (M&A) - ‘Paul Rajput is the Rolls Royce of Corporate M&A lawyers. He is capable of driving the deal by himself, asking input from his clients when necessary, provides a variety of possible solutions for his clients to choose from, and is a force of nature when it comes to driving everyone to complete’
- Legal 500 2022 (M&A) - ‘Paul Rajput was an exemplary lead on our deal. Always available; always the voice of reason, and clear-eyed about the other party’s agenda.
- Legal 500 2021 - leading individual - M&A: Smaller deals, up to £50m
- Legal 500 2020 - M&A: Smaller deals, up to £50m - "Practice head Paul Rajput ... has notable experience in the advertising, marking and media sectors."
- Acritas Star 2018: "He is very good technically, he's pragmatic, understands our business, and gives good commercial answers and understands our risk appetite."
- Legal 500 2018 - "Calm, proactive and creative" practice head Paul Rajput advised digital communications group Next 15 on four significant acquisitions in 2017, including those of Circle Research and Velocity Partners.
- Legal 500 2017 - London: Corporate and Commercial - M&A: mid-market, £50m-£250m - ‘Calm, proactive and creative’ practice head Paul Rajput is ‘extremely skilled at leading commercially sensitive transactions’: on the cross-border side, he acted for Valeo on its 50% acquisition of CloudMade, and advised Publicis Groupe on its equity partnership with the communications arm of West Africa-based communications services provider Troyka Group.