I am a Partner in our Dispute Resolution Department specialising in a broad range of Media & Entertainment, Intellectual Property and complex commercial disputes.
I have extensive experience of handling a wide variety of complex commercial disputes, including representing clients in ground-breaking and high-profile litigation in the High Court and Court of Appeal, cross-border issues, international arbitrations and expert determinations as well as alternative forms of dispute resolution, including mediation. I proactively work with business stakeholders at an early stage to avoid disputes arising or escalating. Where they do, I focus on helping prevent disputes becoming drawn-out and time-consuming and, where appropriate, to retain or repair valuable commercial relationships through strategic and creative thinking.
I have particular experience of intellectual property disputes and online rights protection for media rights owners, such as film, TV, music, sports, computer games and major brands, ranging from large scale notice and takedown, third party disclosure orders, injunctions, website blocking orders and complex or precedent setting strategic litigation, having acting in several leading cases concerning the enforcement of IP rights online.
I am also recognised for advising on criminal aspects of intellectual property law, anti-piracy and rights protection, having conducted multiple high-profile private criminal prosecutions on behalf of media rights holders.
Media & Entertainment
Having focused primarily on helping clients in the media and entertainment sector for over 20 years, including senior in-house experience, I have a deep understanding of my clients’ business, the content and rights they create and the markets they operate in, allowing me to add real commercial value and manage complex disputes in a strategic way.
I am recognised as a leader in the field of media & entertainment and online content protection and enforcement.
Awards and Recognition
- Legal 500 2021 - "an exceptional partner with unique cross-jurisdictional (civil and criminal) expertise in intellectual property infringement." Recognised as a Key Lawyer in 2021
- Legal 500 2020 - Neil Parkes, who is "commercial, pragmatic and sensible"
- Legal 500 2020 - "Neil Parkes is a safe pair of hands for media litigation"
- Legal 500 2020 - Neil Parkes is "very approachable, diligent and thorough"
- Legal 500 2019 - "I would pick out Neil Parkes .. especially, [as an] expert in [his] field".