An experienced Asia employment lawyer specializing in mainland China matters.
I have spent over 20 years working for international law firms based primarily in Shanghai, after originally training and starting my career in London. I joined Lewis Silkin in mid-2023.
I specialize in mainland China matters, helping multi-national companies to navigate a wide range of employment and people-related issues. I also work on cross-border and multi-jurisdictional projects which have a nexus with Hong Kong and the wider Asia region. My work for clients encompasses a broad array of sectors, including banking and insurance, technology and communications, pharma and professional services.
My work includes advising on:
- the full range of employment documentation, including offer letters, contracts, confidentiality and non-compete agreements, and handbooks and policies
- hiring and selection processes, including structuring employment arrangements and immigration issues for expatriates
- remuneration, bonus and incentive arrangements
- overtime, sick leave, maternity and statutory social insurance and welfare entitlements
- employment issues arising from company restructuring and closure scenarios
- employee issues in the context of M&A activity, including transfer of employees to buyer in asset acquisitions
- discrimination and sexual harassment issues
- non-compete and other restrictive covenants
- employee exits and terminations, including negotiation of mutual termination and settlement agreements
- investigations relating to employee misconduct, anti-corruption, sexual harassment, as well as whistleblower related issues
- dual employment arrangements involving the PRC and Hong Kong, as well as regional harmonization projects
- international assignments, secondments and intra-group transfers
- data privacy issues
I am a regular speaker and commentator on China employment matters and I have been consistently recognized in the Asia Pacific legal directories over many years.