I am a partner and specialist employment lawyer with over 20 years’ experience advising on employment law issues.
My practice has a particular emphasis on restructuring, employee relations issues, TUPE/outsourcing, transactional support and senior executive exits. My clients are similarly diverse from law firms and hedge funds to football clubs and retail brands.
Although part of my role as a partner involves managing client relationships, I am still very much a hands-on lawyer. My clients range across all industry sectors although in recent years I have developed more of a focus on the financial services, legal and pharmaceutical sectors. I have been recognised for my employment law expertise in both Chambers and Legal 500 for a number of years. I am a member of the Employment Lawyers Association, chair of Lewis Silkin’s TUPE group and Editor of the Sweet & Maxwell Transfer of Undertakings Bulletin.
My aim is to assist clients in managing employment issues of all kinds in a swift, commercial and pragmatic fashion, consistent with their corporate culture; to add value by properly understanding their business and through proactive engagement; and to form long term relationships built on trust, personal chemistry and positive outcomes.
As well as advising on the full range of employment law issues, I have particular expertise and experience in transactional support work and TUPE:
I am the Editor of Sweet & Maxwell’s TUPE bulletin, a regular commentator on TUPE issues and have been consulted by BIS in relation to previous legislative reform of TUPE
I head up Lewis Silkin’s specialist TUPE group and provide regular training on TUPE for clients and at conferences
I work closely with other law firms providing expert employment law due diligence and transactional support to them and their clients on M&A deals and private equity investments
I have considerable expertise in the field of outsourcing including consultation, multi-jurisdictional projects, contested transfers and negotiating TUPE terms
My clients include a number of different professional services organisations in the financial services, legal, PR and travel security/medical assistance sectors. I advise companies and LLPs frequently on employment law issues relating to highly paid or regulated individuals including remuneration matters, dismissals, conduct and capability situations, data requests/breaches, market practice employment or membership terms as well as many other issues common to the professional services environment. I understand the commercial pressures and sensitivity often attached to these matters and the need to deal with them in a pragmatic, timely and sometimes creative way.
I am co-head of Lewis Silkin’s Sports Business group. I have advised a number of household name sports clients over many years and have extensive experience in football and Formula 1 in particular. I also advise individuals on contracts, exits and disputes including managers, technical directors and senior executives working within the FA Premier League, Football League and Scottish Premier League.
Awards and recognition
- Chambers 2023 (Employment – Thames Valley) "Jonathan Carr is a strong technical lawyer with good commercial judgement. He makes himself available to us, often at short notice, and is very diligent on following up."
- Legal 500 2023 (Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M43) ‘Jonathan Carr is extremely responsive and leads a highly capable team. Jonathan is very commercial and works well with C-Suite clients on what can, at times, be very sensitive matters.’
- Leading individual in Legal 500 (Employment)
- Chambers 2022 (Employment) - 'Jonathan Carr presents a balanced view that is pragmatic and commercial and he clearly understands our business goals'
- Chambers 2021 (Employment) - "He is an excellent lawyer who is very pragmatic and does the best for clients"
- Chambers 2021 (Employment) - "He is good at finding the issues and coming up with effective and commercial solutions"
- Legal 500 2021 (Employment: Thames Valley, Berks, Oxon, M4/M40) - ‘Jonathan Carr gives really good advice – I rate him ’