I work in data & privacy and have extensive experience in Australian employment law.
I am a senior member of Lewis Silkin's Data & Privacy Group and a member of the Ius Laboris Data Privacy expert group. I hold the CIPP/E data protection/privacy accreditation from the IAPP and regularly conduct data privacy management training for clients based in the UK and the US.
I have advised some of the world’s leading companies on data & privacy and GDPR strategy, remediation and ongoing compliance efforts. I have worked as an in-house privacy counsel for a leading London headquartered food delivery service operating in 14 markets. I am frequently asked to provide urgent advice following cyber security incidents, along with providing longer term post-incident advice relating to regulatory reporting, incident notifications to data subjects, and ongoing review of cyber security risk mitigation measures.
I have extensive experience in Australian employment law having practiced at a leading independent national firm before relocating from Australia to the UK in 2017.
Data & Privacy
I specialise in advising on employee and customer data protection matters. Specifically my data protection experience includes:
- Managing employer responses to data subject access requests (DSARs) in particular where a DSAR is made in the context of another underlying workplace dispute such as a grievance or an unfair dismissal or discrimination claim.
- Drafting GDPR compliant employment documentation including workplace and customer privacy notices, data protection policies, breach notification protocols and data retention policies.
- Advising on dealings with data protection authorities including European dawn raids and regulator investigations and enforcement action.
- Advising on e-Privacy law such as direct marketing rules and on cookies and similar technologies compliance.
- Advising on employee monitoring and privacy issues under the GDPR, the European Convention and the Human Rights Act.
- Managing multi-jurisdiction data protection projects including intragroup data sharing arrangements, contract change implementation and group-wide data protection policy updates.
- Advising on Brexit implications for data protection and data transfer compliance obligations.
Having practiced employment law extensively in Australia, I have experience in advocacy in Australian courts and tribunals, employment advisory in corporate transactions, and day-to-day HR advisory. I also have experience defending employers in workplace health and safety prosecutions, union right of entry disputes and in employment discrimination claims
I am often called to advise UK based companies on Australian employment law.