Employment is a central focus of our business, with around 150 lawyers in our team. Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal. We have also received global recognition from Who's Who Legal who this year have named us "Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions".
Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for over a decade, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong and our Dublin office.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing.
- "The team is a real market leader; they are very knowledgeable, have huge strength in depth and offer very good value for money compared to other firms," (Chambers 2018)
- "We have a very high regard for the services we get from Lewis Silkin. The lawyers are accessible at all times and the advice is always sound." (Chambers 2018)
- The team "offers a high level of client service" and "is very responsive, providing extremely thorough advice." (Chambers 2018)
- Lewis Silkin fields an ‘absolutely first-rate’ and ‘market-leading’ team that excels in high-value High Court litigation and other contentious matters, including boardroom, data protection, gender pay gap reporting and immigration issues. (Legal 500 2017)
- Four partners listed in The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom (2018 Edition)
- Clients consider it ‘one of the few firms that really understands European labour law’ (Legal 500 2017)
- Clients of Lewis Silkin team in Cardiff rate its ‘highly effective and value-for-money service’ and praise its ability to ‘provide a balanced perspective, which takes into account the commercial aspects as well as the employee perspective’. (Legal 500 2017 Cardiff)
- Lewis Silkin LLP has ‘superb strength in depth’ and routinely advises multinational clients on cross-border matters relating to global contracts and M&A transactions, where collective redundancies, restructurings and various other matters arise. (Legal 500 2017 Thames Valley)
- Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm’ in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal, with 14 lawyers listed in their Labour, Employment & Benefits 2017 ranking.
- Consistently top ranked by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners legal directories
- "I thoroughly enjoy working with them. They are knowledgeable about my business, friendly and responsive."
- "They have always been absolutely first-class, not just in their advice but the way they manage the relationship. You feel like a valued client of the firm."
- "They are a genuine leader of the field." (Chambers 2017, Thames Valley)
HR Academy - September 201909 September 2019
This course runs over two days – 9 & 10 September 2019. Do you wish you had more time to focus on developments in employment law? Do you want to refresh your knowledge in core areas, or enhance the skills of members of your team? Would you like to learn in a practical way from specialist employment lawyers and your fellow HR professionals?
Jessica Bowman comments for Lexis Nexis: Are family-friendly facilities the way forward for the workplace?16 July 2019
Jessica Bowman has commented in an article for Lexis Nexis which discusses the implications of 'family-friendly' facilities in the workplace for both employers and employees.
UK Employment rights in a no-deal Brexit16 July 2019
What might a ‘no-deal’ Brexit mean for UK employment rights? What could employers do now to prepare? And what might the future hold in a no-deal scenario?
Lewis Silkin’s award-winning rockhopper service celebrates fifth anniversary16 July 2019
It is five years since Lewis Silkin launched rockhopper, its highly successful, fixed-fee HR support service.
Secret recording of conversations is not necessarily gross misconduct12 July 2019
The Employment Appeal Tribunal has agreed that a claimant who secretly recorded a meeting with HR should have her compensation reduced, but did not accept that this was necessarily gross misconduct. The EAT also made a number of interesting comments about covert recordings and reductions of awards.
BA’s sky-high fine for GDPR breach09 July 2019
British Airways (BA) are potentially facing a £183m fine by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for breaches of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) following last year’s cyber-attack. The actual amount of the fine will be determined after representations are made by BA and by other supervisory authorities.
Three Lewis Silkin employment partners listed as Thought Leaders – Global Elite by Who’s Who Legal09 July 2019
Who’s Who Legal, one of the world’s leading independent publications, has named three Lewis Silkin partners in the 2020 edition of WWL: Thought Leaders – Global Elite.