Employment is a central focus of our business, with over 150 lawyers in our team. Our practice is ‘the most highly nominated European firm in research conducted by Who’s Who Legal. We have also received global recognition from Who's Who Legal who this year have named us "Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions".
Consistently top-ranked amongst our peers for over a decade, we advise UK and multinational clients of all sizes, and many of our partners are independently rated as leaders in the field. Not only do we have one of the UK’s largest employment law practices, we have truly global reach as members of Ius laboris, the world’s leading employment law alliance, and with our Asia Pacific base in Hong Kong and our Dublin office.
Underpinning the success of any business is its people. Meeting the competitive challenges of today’s rapidly changing world can require a radical re-think of the employer/employee relationship, and co-ordinating globally mobile talent can present significant challenges. Nurturing diversity, incentivising key staff and protecting against team defections are all essential to business success.
With so many issues to contend with, our award-winning specialist employment team covers the full range of work – from day-to-day HR support through to advising on the most complex or contentious of disputes. Going far beyond just legal advice, we also support clients with a range of innovative, value-adding services including consultancy, training and flexible legal resourcing.
- Chambers and Legal 500 have rated us as a Tier 1 practice for over a decade and this year name 21 of our partners as “leaders in their field”. Legal 500 named us “HR Law Firm of the Year” in their 2020 awards.
- Who’s Who Legal named us “Global Law Firm of the Year for Labour, Employment & Pensions” for two years running. 15 of our lawyers are currently ranked in Who’s Who - substantially more than any other firm in the UK.
- “Lewis Silkin operate at the highest level of employment law expertise and undertake many cutting-edge cases. There are few solicitors’ firms which attain such high analytical standards and show such in-depth legal knowledge.” (Legal 500 2021)
- “An employment practice in terms of strength and depth of quality of team they are just unrivalled; for any issue they have an expert who’s dealt with it already, and the finished product is always very good.” (Chambers 2021)
- “The team is exceptionally efficient, always keen to meet deadlines and really tailors the advice they offer to the individual needs of the client.” (Legal 500 2021 - Wales)
- “Great commercial advice in employment matters. Very customer focused and delivery orientated.” (Legal 500 2021 - Thames Valley)
- “Their level of expertise is excellent, they have great judgement, market-wide knowledge, and the quality of lawyers is absolutely first-rate.” (Chambers 2020)
- “The firm has a deep knowledge of all matters related to employment law and is dedicated to client service.” (Chambers 2020)
- “They have a great culture and a great match of skills and personalities. Their work is always of the highest calibre.”(Chambers 2020 - Wales)
- “The team is highly responsive, knowledgeable but importantly practical when assessing technical risk vs practical reality” (Legal 500 2019)
- “The team at Lewis Silkin are exceptional lawyers, who go above and beyond for a client and always make themselves available. They completely understand the nature of the client’s work and give appropriate tailored advice, taking on board the preferred outcomes and commercial solution to employment issues.” (Legal 500 2019 - Thames Valley)
- “They are a very strong team and they are extremely cost-effective.” (Chambers 2019)
Managing an International Workforce conference16 June 2021
We’re moving our market leading Managing an International Workforce conference, attended each year by over 300 delegates from around the world, from February to June next year.
Employment Law Academy - 7, 8, 14 and 15 June 202107 June 2021
Our Employment Law Academy enable you to develop your skills and focus on key day-to-day areas of HR and in depth. Our online academy has been adapted to run over four half-days to provide you with the same great content and with an emphasis on the practical application of the topics outlined below.
APAC: Round up of employment law13 May 2021
We’ll look at the latest developments in employment law across the Asia Pacific region as well as looking to what’s on the horizon for the year ahead.
Flexible resourcing during difficult times14 April 2021
A combination of the ongoing health crisis and the effects of Brexit has left many businesses struggling, with the economic situation likely remain challenging for some time to come.
EMEA Club discussion forum: Covid 19 – Vaccination and the impact on the workplace18 March 2021
With programmes now underway in many countries, what will the impact of vaccination be on the global workplace? How far can employers go in insisting that its employees take the jab, and what action might it take if an employee refuses? Can an employer impose a requirement that employees inform them once they have been vaccinated? And what about third parties who attend an employer’s premises? Can employers insist that they have been vaccinated?
Employment Law Academy15 March 2021
Do you wish you had more time to focus on developments in employment law? Do you want to refresh your knowledge in core areas, or enhance the skills of members of your team? Would you like to learn in a practical way from specialist employment lawyers and your fellow HR professionals?
What's happening in employment law11 March 2021
Our regular review will examine major recent and upcoming employment law changes in these eventful and unpredictable times..
Furlough scheme extended to September 202104 March 2021
The chancellor Rishi Sunak has announced an extension of the furlough scheme for all sectors until 30 September 2021, with employer contributions gradually increasing from 1 July.