We act for Landlords, public and private, large and small.
- registered providers of social housing
- housing co-operatives
- private rented sector landlords and
- individual landlords and their agents
We deal with all housing management issues:
- non-contentious advice and drafting of policies, procedures, tenancy agreements and suits of standard documentation for the good management of housing stock
- contentious matters, enforcing terms and conditions of tenancy agreements, seeking and obtaining possession and injunctions
- money claims, enforcement, declaratory relief, emergency applications, and bespoke claims under statute
We have particular expertise and experience in:
- assured shorthold tenancies; section 21 notices, HMOs, licensing schemes and Right to Rent
- ASB and all remedies available including possession and injunctions pursuant to the Anti-social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014
- deposits, protection and claims under the Housing Act 2004
- disrepair and statutory nuisance
- fraud – Prevention of Social Housing Fraud, non-occupation, sub-let, disputed successions and assignments
- gas and electricity servicing and injunctions for access
- leasehold and shared ownership disputes, service charge recovery and forfeiture
- money and rent arrears claims
- possession action for breach of tenancy across England and Wales
- squatters/trespass, travelers and large scale protester action
- tenancy agreements, drafting and advising on terms and conditions and enforcing the same
We also advise clients on how to avoid disputes and minimise property-related risk. Our advice is straight forward and plain English and ensures our landlord clients succeed in their objectives.
Reactivation Notice: Pursuant to Practice Direction 55C10 November 2020
Landlords wishing to proceed with possession action issued before 20 September 2020 and which was stayed automatically by CPR55.29 must file and serve a written notice (a “reactivation notice”) confirming that they wish the case to be listed, relisted, heard or referred.
Electrical Safety in the Residential Private Rented Sector01 April 2020
The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 (the “Regulations”) are coming into force on 1 June 2020 and will apply to all new specified tenancies commencing on or after 1 July 2020 and all existing specified tenancies from 1 April 2021 in England.
COVID-19 and protection from eviction of residential tenants25 March 2020
Coronavirus – landlord's obligations to carry out annual gas safety inspections24 March 2020
In these unprecedented times we have advised a number of landlords about their obligations to tenants and particularly in respect of the obligation on all residential landlords to carry out annual gas safety inspections in accordance with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 when we should all be social distancing.
Trespassers will be prosecuted.....or will they?19 December 2018
Trespassers or “squatters” can present major issues for owners of commercial land and buildings.
Permission to issue a warrant for possession is no longer required in rent arrears cases27 September 2018
The Civil Procedure (Amendment No. 3) Rules 2018 (SI 2018/975) come into force from 1 October 2018 so that a writ or warrant for possession may be issued without the court’s permission where there has been non-compliance with an order suspending possession on payment of money.
The importance of gas safety19 September 2018
On 6 April 2018, the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 were amended with the new regulations allowing ‘flexibility’ for landlords when carrying out annual gas safety inspections. It’s important to note that these amendments do not change or relax a landlord’s obligations to carry out an annual gas safety inspection. They simply allow for the annual inspection to be carried out within a two month period prior to the expiry of the existing certificate, whilst retaining the existing expiry date.
Come and meet our team at MIPIM 2018!13 March 2018
Clare Reddy and Anthony Van Hoffen will be in Cannes from Tuesday 13 March until Thursday 15 March and look forward to seeing those of you attending there! If you or one of your colleagues would like to arrange a meeting, please do get in touch.