Prize promotions and promotional marketing are great tools for brands to engage with customers - and potentially find new ones. A well-executed campaign can really capture the public imagination and build brand recognition and loyalty. And with the rise of social media, that audience is never more than a post or a click away, bringing new opportunities, as well as challenges.
Whether you’re planning an in-store giveaway, running a competition on your website, or using influencers to reach out to a whole new audience on social, the success of your promotion will often depend on how well you are able to navigate the legal and regulatory landscape.
Highly experienced team
At Lewis Silkin, we have been helping both brands and agencies run successful promotions for many years. Our highly respected team has a wealth of experience in the fields of advertising and marketing, consumer protection, intellectual property and data compliance, which allows us to provide practical commercial advice on all aspects of your promotion - and creative solutions when issues arise.
Seamless global support
As a member of a global network of law firms, we also offer a unique one-stop-shop for coordinating international promotions, providing a seamless service across all the territories that are important to you.
Key aspects of our service
- Advising on all aspects of prize draws, competitions, instant wins, one-to-ones and giveaways, from the lawfulness of entry mechanics and prizes to judging criteria and general administration.
- Advising on compliance with the CAP Code and providing practical risk assessments and mitigation strategies.
- Advising on specialist areas including alcohol, tobacco, gambling, motoring, healthcare, food and HFSS products.
- Coordinating global promotions across multiple markets, working closely with overseas counsel to ensure compliance with local laws and any registration or translation requirements.
- Providing specialist advice on all aspects of consumer law and regulation, including consumer protection regulations, distance selling rules and consumer rights.
- Advising on influencer marketing and the legal issues and risks that arise when engaging influencers.
- Advising on compliance with UK and EU data protection laws and helping to navigate complex direct marketing rules.
Check out our guide to promotions
Click here to download our practical guide to prize promotions, highlighting the key considerations to bear in mind when embarking on a new promotion.
You can view our latest blog posts below and our full AdLaw blog here.
Will we have to stop offers on cakes and soft drinks to meet ‘junk food’ rules? Alex Meloy writes for The Times15 September 2021
Q: Will we have to stop offers on cakes and soft drinks to meet ‘junk food’ rules?
Can my business run a promotion celebrating the Olympics? Alex Kelham writes for The Times20 July 2021
Many businesses will be buzzing with ideas of how to capitalise on the long-awaited Olympics this month. While you can certainly get into the spirit of it, there are strict rules in place to protect the Olympic and TeamGB brands.