I am a Consultant Partner within our Employment, Immigration and Reward division.
I advise on all aspects of employment law, both domestically and in an international context. I mainly advise employers on issues such as complex discrimination claims, cross-border restructuring and large scale redundancies. However, I also advise employees, particularly in public sector organisations such as universities and health trusts. I have a particular interest in public and charity law.
I am a specialist in the law on data protection and privacy, particularly in its application to the workplace. The extent and variety of data collected within the workplace presents employers with specific challenges, particularly in relation to regulatory compliance. My advice covers the building of strong foundations for processing of HR data using tools such as dataflow analysis, impact assessments and audit. It also covers the use of data protection law in disputes – exercising or resisting the exercise of data subject rights.
My practice covers all aspects of the employment relationship. I am particularly interested in TUPE (the law on transfers of undertakings), especially in a public sector context in the context of procurement. I was responsible for creating the TUPE Protocol applied within the marketing services sector. Examples of recent work include:
- advising on a claim by an employee who raised serial grievances, alleging discriminatory victimisation
- a collective redundancy process on the closure of a manufacturing facility with a dispute with staff representatives over consultation;
- advice on a multi-jurisdictional restructuring project with a particular focus on cross-border consultation both in relation to large-scale redundancies and outsourcing.
- acting as co-chair of Ius Laboris’ International Practice Group on restructuring.
Data & Privacy
I advise on all aspects of data protection and privacy, with a particular focus on processing of workplace data. This work covers privacy policies, data audits and impact assessments, covert monitoring, data security issues and the handling of serious data breaches. Examples of recent work include advice:
- on structuring of arrangements to transfer of personal data outside the EEA;
- on how to manage employee use of social media and risk control;
- on data sharing, freedom of information issues and on the interplay between privacy rights and safeguarding obligations.
- to various media organisations on diversity monitoring of staff and on-screen talent.
I have published extensively on areas such as data protection in the workplace, personal data and the handling of data subject access requests.