I am a member of Lewis Silkin’s Dispute Resolution practice group and a member of the Professional Services and Sports industry sector focus groups.
I work with clients who have legal disputes, in and out of court. I specialise in commercial litigation and sports disputes.
Litigation can be daunting for those caught up in it. I listen to my clients to hear their side of the story, identify the key legal points, and then help them through the process, which usually ends with a settlement, thus avoiding the stress and cost of a trial.
Out of the office, I follow the varying fortunes of West Ham United, where I have been a season ticket holder since the 1990s.
In addition to Court proceedings, I have experience of arbitration and mediation. In complex litigation, a range of expertise is often necessary. I will put together a team to suit the needs of the case, which may include barristers, experts and e-disclosure consultants, as appropriate.
Examples of my work include:
- acting for a financial group in multi-party High Court proceedings relating to the misuse of the group’s confidential information
- acting for a national mobile network operator in two Commercial Court cases concerning agreements on roaming charges
- a shareholders’ dispute involving unfair prejudice and just and equitable winding-up petitions
- advising corporate clients on the application of the Bribery Act 2010
- a dispute relating to the sale of commodities from Russia
I am a committee member of the Commercial Litigators’ Forum and the British Kazakh Law Association.
I have worked with professional services firms for many years, and have substantial experience in defending claims in negligence against professionals such as accountants and actuaries, and in associated insurance coverage aspects. My work has included:
- acting on several occasions for one of the UK’s largest accountancy firms, including defending a major professional negligence claim arising from a share valuation
- defending a firm of accountants before the Disciplinary Committee of their governing body
- acting for a global professional services firm in relation to confidential internal issues
I advise clients in the sports business on their rights and obligations in a variety of contentious situations. I also have a postgraduate qualification in sports law from King’s College London. Examples of my experience include:
- Acting for a FA Premier League club in an arbitration against the club’s former manager
- Acting for an international footballer in High Court proceedings against his former club concerning loyalty bonuses and signing-on fees
- Acting for a Premiership rugby union club in a dispute with a player arising from a failed medical
- Acting in two arbitrations before Amateur Swimming Association tribunals relating to a swimmer’s expulsion from an ASA member club
- Advising a UK athlete in a team selection dispute relating to the 2016 Rio Olympics