I provide specialist advice on general commercial contracts, technology projects, outsourcing, data protection, e-commerce, consumer law and intellectual property exploitation.
I have worked with a wide range of clients in a number of industries. However I have a particular interest in the retail, fashion, leisure & gaming and technology sectors.
When I am not in the office, I am usually to be found watching a rugby game, relaxing with friends or taking part in some relatively extreme sporting activity, such as skiing, scuba diving or horse riding.
Commercial & Consumer
My work involves advising on a number of general commercial agreements including supply of goods and/or services agreements, distribution and agency agreements, sponsorship and ticketing agreements, franchising arrangements, warehousing and logistics agreements, client agency agreements, media buying agreements, and confidentiality agreements.
I also advise clients on the protection/ transfer of intellectual property which can include drafting and negotiating complex intellectual property assignments and licences.
Most notably, I have advised:
- a number of high street retailers on various supply of goods and/or services agreements, warehousing and logistics agreements and ancillary/back office services type agreements
- fashion brands on various supply of goods and/or services agreements with both trade suppliers and retailers, warehousing and logistics agreements and the protection of their intellectual property
- media and/or advertising agencies on agreements relating to the supply of media/ advertising space and on various intellectual property assignments and licences relating to their own clients
- a major bookmaker in the gaming sector on a wide range of supply agreements including a number of digital content distribution agreements and agreements relating to the supply media/ advertising space
- a UK provider of satellite and data services on its supply arrangements with major UK TV broadcasting channels
I also regularly advise on consumer law issues. This includes advising clients on consumer facing terms and conditions and general e-commerce compliance, providing support to clients that are the subject of regulatory investigations (which includes liaising with regulators on consumer law issues) and advising clients on appropriate alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
I also advise a number of organisations, mainly retailers, regarding compliance with Modern Slavery Act 2015 and in particular their obligations to provide a Modern Slavery Statement.
Data & Privacy
I regularly advise on a range of data and privacy issues and hold an IAPP CIPP/E certification. Typically I advise organisations on: data capture and the grounds for processing personal data; external privacy notices; internal policies such as data security and data breach policies; data audits; and third party agreements that involve data sharing and/or data processing. I also advise on subject access requests, data breach notifications and cyber security issues.
I also regularly advise organisations on international data transfers. Such advise ranges from completing model clauses to putting in place complicated data transfer structures to enable multinational businesses to transfer data between their groups (as well as to external third parties).
I also have experience dealing with Freedom of Information Act requests.
I have a particular expertise in the retail and technology sectors and regularly advise businesses in those sectors regarding data management and data privacy issues.
I regularly advise on a wide range of technology related agreements including: software development, licensing, hosting, maintenance and support (including website development and hosting) agreements; escrow arrangements; cloud computing and Software as a Service (SaaS) agreements. I also provide advice on IT security and disaster recovery and business continuity.
I have also been involved in a number of large scale outsourcing and systems integration projects which has involved co-ordinating advice across jurisdictions.
Most notably, I have advised on an end to end basis:
- a professional services firm in respect of its purchase of a suite of systems software and related professional and support services
- two notable clients on the outsourcing of call centre functions to countries outside of Europe
- a major drinks brand on its customer data management solution and various ticketing solutions
- a major automobile brand on the implementation of a new HR platform