I am a Dispute Strategy Consultant in the Disputes Resolution team. I act for a broad client base, including major retail corporations, banks, local authorities, public bodies, technology, gaming and media companies, industrial conglomerates, professional partnerships and High Net Worth Individuals.
I am a member of the Litigation Committee of the City of London Law Society and the IBA. I am listed in the 2017 edition of Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom for Litigation and as a Prominent Figure for Contentious Trusts in the City Wealth Leaders List for 2016. I am also a ranked lawyer for UK Litigation in Chambers Europe for 2016.
I was a member of the advisory panel assisting Lord Justice Briggs in his review of the Chancery Division of the High Court in London and am a member of the Disclosure Working Group assisting Lady Justice Gloster in her review of the English disclosure process in the context of business litigation.
I have extensive experience of advising in complex commercial disputes both international and domestic, including banking disputes, trust litigation, restitution claims, jurisdiction disputes, joint venture and shareholder disputes, warranty and indemnity claims, civil fraud, professional negligence, insurance disputes, commercial judicial review, LLP and funds disputes, competition enquiries and injunctive remedies. I have litigated cases at all levels through the English system up to the Supreme Court as well as to the European Court of Justice. I also have extensive arbitration experience under the rules of the LCIA, ICC and numerous specialist tribunals (as well as under ad hoc tribunals).
Retail, Hospitality & Leisure and Technology
I have particular experience in advising clients in the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure and the Technology sectors across a range of issues, including complex relationship or service agreements, indemnity claims, joint ventures, shareholder disputes and competition enquiries. I have acted in substantial litigation matters leading to highly successful outcomes in all those sectors.
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers Europe 2017 - Ranked - UK, Litigation
- Chambers Europe 2016 describes Tom as "absolutely excellent" and "somebody you definitely want on your side".
- Chambers UK 2017 - Ranked - London (Firms), Litigation
- Chambers UK 2017 - Head of the disputes team Tom Coates focuses on high-value litigation in the financial service, retail and hospitality sectors. Sources commend his "absolutely perfect client skills," and add that he is "a very careful litigator."
- Legal 500 2016 - London: Dispute resolution - Commercial litigation - Leading individual
- Legal 500 has described Tom as "an outstanding strategic litigator" and as “a fantastic tactician who picks up complex matters quickly and thoroughly”.