I advise multi-national and UK employers on all aspects of employment law.
My clients are generally from the technology, financial services, retail, manufacturing, transport and media sectors and I am the Head of the firm’s Technology & Communications Sector Group.
I have been recognised for a number of years as a leader in the field of employment law by Legal 500 and Who's Who Legal and am a commentator on employment law issues for BBC TV and radio. I also regularly speak at HR and legal conferences and write for a number of professional publications.My practice is often international in its scope and I am regularly asked to advise on the employment law aspects of global acquisitions and on multi-jurisdictional restructures, particularly across the EMEA region. I am also responsible for a number of international retainers which enable clients to access expert employment law advice in all of the countries in which they operate.
I advise a wide range of multinational and UK companies on all aspects of employment law from the beginning to the end of the employment relationship. In addition to dealing with general employment queries and projects, I have a particular interest in employment litigation and collective employment law and am an accredited mediator and an Irish qualified solicitor.
Examples of my recent work include:
- Advising a global hardware company on the EMEA wide employment aspects of a number of important global acquisitions
- Advising a professional services company on a wide range of global employment law implications following a high profile merger
- Successfully settling a sensitive Employment Tribunal claim involving fraud for an financial services organization
- Advising a provider of technology products on the termination of a senior employee of a recently acquired company
- Advising a digital platform on all EMEA wide employment law projects including the implications of a potential takeover
I lead Lewis Silkin’s Technology and Communications Sector Group, having spent many years advising some of the leading names in the sector. My clients range from California headquartered software and hardware companies to successful and established startups focused on fashion, leisure and networking. All of these companies have a global outlook and I support many of my tech clients with their international employment law needs.
My work in the tech sector includes providing day to day advice and strategic support and managing various projects with the help of a dedicated client team of employment lawyers for each client. I have particular experience advising on employment law aspects of various global acquisitions. Additionally, I regularly host and attend tech sector events from Shoreditch all the way to Silicon Valley.
Awards and Recognition
- the ‘very proactive’ Sean Dempsey, who ‘offers balanced equitable advice presented with a commercial view’ (Legal 500 2017)
- Sean Dempsey is “excellent" and is noted for his expertise in employment law relating to technology and communications, where he is head of the sector group