I advise on the full range of employment issues, including matters such as advising on executive terminations, redundancies and changes to terms and conditions, sensitive discrimination, whistleblowing and other employment claims as well as advising on day to day issues including shared parental leave and calculation of holiday pay.
I have significant experience of advising clients on their collective information and consultation obligations, challenging industrial action and other union leverage tactics, defending claims for breaches of individual and collective trade union rights and union recognition and de-recognition.
I also have considerable experience of working on corporate transactions, acting on behalf of both sellers and purchasers, on TUPE transfers and share sales and also on private equity arrangements.
I act for clients in a range of sectors, from high street retailers at one end to banks and insurers at the other. I am also a key member of the firms Retail, Hospitality and Leisure sector group and lead the firm’s Health and Safety Group.
I qualified as a solicitor in 1997, and joined Lewis Silkin in 2010 from Pinsent Masons.
I advise on the full range of employment issues, including executive terminations, redundancies, sensitive discrimination and other employment claims, corporate transactions and various trade union and collective issues. Issues that I have advised employer clients on include:
- HMRC allegations of a failure to pay the national minimum wage
- mass redundancies and changes to employees’ terms and conditions following a TUPE transfer
- various trade union matters including pay negotiations, detriment claims, challenging industrial action ballots and contingency planning around industrial action
- the employment aspects of the closure of a defined benefit pension scheme
- advising on the UK employment law aspects of a TUPE transfer and project managing advice from other jurisdictions
- advising on allegations of breach of health and safety obligations and a resulting whistleblowing claim
I have particular expertise on trade union and collective issues. I advise companies on many different issues and, in particular, how to deal with proposed industrial action, including potential ways of avoiding it and contingency planning for it (including TUPE and the use of agency workers), defending applications by trade unions to the Central Arbitration Committee for recognition, disputes on pay and other negotiations, ACAS arbitrations, and many other types of strategic issues when dealing with unions.
I have defended claims against employers for both alleged inducements to employees to give up the right to have their terms and conditions collectively bargained and on discrimination against employees by reason of their trade union duties.