My expertise is in dispute resolution. My clients include large international/ multinational conglomerates and corporations, high net worth individuals, and small to medium size enterprises, operating across a broad range of industry sectors.
I place great emphasis on understanding my clients business needs and implementing their commercial objectives in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Most of my work is international, with a particular focus on India and the UAE. I have maintained a strong Indian client base throughout my career, and have worked with some of the largest multinational groups in India. I am also able to draw on an extensive network of contacts to meet the requirements of UK and other clients looking to invest in India, and have been involved in several initiatives to boost bi-lateral trade between India and the UK. I have been listed in Chambers Global as a ranked lawyer under Dispute Resolution- Foreign Expert for India.
I have experience of all forms of dispute resolution including litigation, international arbitration (institutional and ad hoc), and ADR, and have advised on a wide range of issues including commercial fraud, professional negligence, contractual disputes, trusts, conflict of laws, registration of foreign judgments, injunctions, directors duties, joint ventures, intellectual property, software disputes, commercial agency, product liability, and sale of goods. I also have extensive experience of international trade, commodities, shipping, and shipbuilding/ship sale and purchase matters.
My focus in terms of practice is on international arbitration. I have experience of most forms of arbitration, including domestic and international, institutional and ad hoc, and have in-depth knowledge of a number of arbitral rules and procedures including LCIA, ICC, ICSID, UNCITRAL, LMAA, RSA, and GAFTA.
As a specialist international arbitration lawyer, I am practiced in working with the different perspectives, attitudes and cultures of clients, arbitrators, witnesses and lawyers from different countries and backgrounds.
- AB v CD  EWCA Civ 229
- Abou-Rahmah v Abacha  EWCA Civ 1492 (CA)
- Regus (UK) Limited v Epcot Solutions Ltd  EWCA Civ 361
- Kolmar Group AG v Traxpo Enterprises PVT Limited  EWHC 113
- St Ivel Limited and another v Wincanton Group Limited  EWCA Civ 1286,  All ER (D) 264 (Nov)
I have acted in a number of disputes on behalf of clients within the technology sector, including in the Technology & Construction Court, the Commercial Court, and in arbitration. In addition to issues of law, such cases often involve highly complex technical issues requiring the use of expert evidence.
Recent cases include:
- Acting for the claimant in a multimillion dollar dispute in LCIA arbitration arising out of a Licensing Agreement relating to an internet-based platform for the buying and selling of goods in the mining, metals and other natural resources industries. The claim involved an application for an interim injunction pursuant to s. 44 of the Arbitration Act 1996 to the High Court, and subsequently to the Court of Appeal, resulting in a landmark judgment regarding the impact of limitation and exclusion clauses on the ability to obtain injunctive relief.
- Acting for the Claimant in a multimillion pound dispute concerning intellectual property rights and allegations of breach of confidence in software underpinning various trading platforms.
- Acting for the Claimant, an Indian software company, in proceedings in the Technology & Construction Court relating to the sale of a subsidiary company specialising in legal outsourcing software. The Defendant buyer has raised counter claims based on breach of warranty, including alleged deficiencies in the software
I have acted on a number of disputes in the professional services sector, primarily on cases involving allegations of professional negligence. My clients have included some of the worlds best known law firms and Barristers Chambers.
Recent cases include:
- Acting for a major US law firm facing a professional negligence claim of US$25 million in relation
to the acquisition of a Slovak company.
- Advising a major US law firm on a £5 million claim for professional negligence arising out of
instructions in relation to JV/Development Agreements for the purchase, development and sale of
various residential and commercial sites.
- Acting for the claimant in a £1.5 million professional negligence against its former lawyers in
relation to advice on potential tax liability on an off-shore restructuring scheme.
- Acting for a major set of Barristers Chambers in relation to an arbitration claim against a former member.