I am the head of Lewis Silkin’s immigration practice and joined the firm in 2010.
I have practiced exclusively in the field of immigration law for over 20 years and advise across the full range of business and personal immigration categories and in particular for investors and entrepreneur clients. I have been heavily involved in lobbying Government on behalf of clients for changes to the immigration system over recent years and have significant senior level contacts at the Home Office. I am also a senior member of Lewis Silkin’s Sports Business group and have a particular expertise in relation to sports immigration. I am named by both the Legal 500 and Chambers as a noted practitioner in my field.
I advise on the full range of business immigration categories for my clients who range from large multinationals to small companies and HNW individuals. My specialisms include applications under the Points Based System for investors and entrepreneurs (Tier 1), and for intra-company transferees and new hires under Tier 2. I also advise on settlement, European applications and applications for British citizenship as well as applications for and the management of sponsor licences, compliance with sponsor duties and on the Prevention of Illegal Working Regime. I also regularly undertake Administrative Review cases and assist clients with challenges to Civil Penalties.
My sports work involves negotiating all areas of player transfer with an emphasis on football and rugby. I am a registered FA Intermediary and currently advise a range of leading Premier League and Championship clubs as well as leading international player and management agencies. My specialisms include sponsorship under the Points Based System, regulatory issues and disputes before FIFA and CAS.
Awards & Recognition
- Chambers 2018 - “highly experienced and knowledgeable in his field,” according to commentators.
- Chambers 2017 - Ranked - London (Firms), Immigration: Companies & Executives
- Head of department Andrew Osborne is a commercial immigration specialist and advises clients on a full range of matters. He also has expertise advising on high-profile sports immigration law.
- Andrew Osborne specialises in advising on player transfer and immigration issues, particularly in football, and is known as "probably the go-to guy for player permits." He has significant experience in matters involving South America and Europe and has appeared in disputes before the CAS and FIFA.
- Chambers 2017 - Ranked - UK-wide, Sport
- Legal 500 2016 - Andrew Osborne is ‘the leader in sports-related immigration disputes nationally’ and frequently handles player transfers.