I work in three main areas: data protection/privacy law; general employment law; and, sports law.
In relation to data protection/privacy law, I advise some of the world's leading companies on the adoption of global privacy strategies and on the full range of data protection/privacy issues including: data subject rights requests management; dealing with data breaches; data protection/privacy audits; extra-EEA data transfers; advising generally on data privacy policies/notices; handling Information Commissioner’s Office queries/investigations; and, helping clients update their data protection/privacy practices in light of potential Brexit and the changes required owing to the forthcoming General Data Protection Regulation. I hold the CIPP/E data protection/privacy accreditation from the IAPP.
I deal with all general day-to-day employment queries and have significant expertise in advising on the practical implications of TUPE and on large scale redundancy/dismissal procedures. I am regularly instructed to act for clients in relation to Employment Tribunal and High Court claims. I am also regularly engaged on investigations (both open and legally privileged) for clients about a variety of different issues.
I am part of the Lewis Silkin Sports Law Group and have a varied practice encompassing many different areas of sports law (with a specialism in employment sports law). Under its Sport rankings for 2013 Legal 500 says: "The ‘incredibly diligent’ Alexander Milner-Smith is an employment law expert."
As a specialist in data protection/privacy law, I am often asked to advise on the full range of data protection issues and am called on to speak about employment privacy issues at conferences and events, both nationally and internationally.
Examples of my recent work include:
- conducting audits of all personal data flows and related privacy practices for a number of well-known organizations
- advising various multi-national companies on extra-EEA transfer issues, the safe harbor<>Privacy Shield changes and the potential impact of the new General Data Protection Regulation
- in the last year speaking about workplace data protection in the UK, Brussels, Milan, Hong Kong, Singapore and the United States.
- coordinating and advising on a multi-jurisdictional review of employment structures around the world for a multinational company
- undertaking a redundancy exercise for a multinational company involving 500 affected employees
- successfully defending a large UK PLC against a race and sexual orientation discrimination claim in a three week ET hearing
I have advised on many different areas of sports law, including regulatory and disciplinary issues, anti-doping, but my primary specialism is employment law as applied to the sporting context (e.g. high profile player contracts, manager contracts/terminations, advising on employment status both in relation to sportspeople and other staff etc).